Neknomite: Deadly drinking game linked to 5 deaths in the U.K. - FOX 10 News |

Neknomite: Deadly drinking game linked to 5 deaths in the U.K.

Posted: Updated:

A drinking game that is big in the United Kingdom has gone viral and is now linked to five deaths worldwide.

It's a game called 'neknominate' in which a person consumed a large amount of alcohol while doing some kind of stunt. They then challenges or nominate friends to outdo each other.

With the popularity of social media it's easy to find examples of the game.
FOX 10 spoke with an expert at St. Lukes Behavioral Health Center. Chip Coffey with the center explained the dangers of the game, what it can do to you, and how it can kill you. "So it's just not drinking yourself to death it's the vomiting, the blackout, those pieces, the getting sick part the getting sick and everyone says "oh its okay i'll survive it", well you might not," said Coffey.

"You know once someone puts that challenge to you on Facebook or YouTube it's really hard to resist that because you really have to one up them," said Coffey.

Barry Adkin lost his 18 year-old son Kevin to alcohol poisoning. Adkin is on a mission to save other kids. "It started with beer and moved to shots he did 7 double shots of either Jack Daniels or Jagermeister, a short time later he passed out and his friends thought it's ok well just lay him in bed on his side in case he vomits," said adkin.

"He died alone in the hospital when I slept peacefully in my bed. What's going through your mind when you hear about this drinking trend game thats probably going to be a trend here in the U.S. you know for me they need to understand they have nothing to prove to these other guys these people you think its important to impress in high school they dont care and if your friends ask you to do something like that theyre not your friend," said Adkin.

Five men all under the age of 30 have died so far in the U.K. of alcohol poisoning after playing the neknominate game.  The latest death a 20 year old rugby player who mixed gin with teabags reports say he drank the equivalent of 30 shots in two minutes and died four days later.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices