Apartment handyman saves woman who fell asleep while cooking - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Apartment handyman saves woman who fell asleep while cooking

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) - A fire broke out at the Regency Tower Senior Apartments off Chene Street in Detroit Tuesday night.

Investigators say the fire started in an apartment kitchen on the 18th floor after a woman fell asleep while cooking. That woman would have likely died, if it wasn't for the brave actions of the building's maintenance man.

The woman lived alone and had only been living in the building for about one month.

Several residents were standing outside the woman's apartment that was quickly filling with smoke.

"I saw the handle moving on the door, so I knew somebody was in there so I just did what came natural - break in, and save somebody," says Phillip Wilson. "Three kicks and maybe about 10 [pushes with the] shoulders, you know, the door was pretty tough. ... I saw the lady crawling out on her knees and she reached out and I grabbed her arm and pulled her out."

The woman and two other residents were rushed to the hospital, including a 102-year-old woman who was treated for anxiety.

All are expected to be okay.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps

  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices