Oil-soaked towels start fire at retirement home - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Oil-soaked towels start fire at retirement home

Posted: Updated:

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities say oil-soaked towels started a fire at a Tucson-area retirement home, forcing the evacuation of six units as smoke filled a three-story building's first floor.

Northwest Fire District firefighters put out the fire Friday morning after being alerted by a water-flow alarm at the Amber Lights independent living facility.

The building's fire sprinklers put out most of the fire, and firefighters extinguished the rest and then used fans to ventilate the building.

A fire inspector determined that the fire started accidentally after a large pile of towels ignited due to a chemical reaction. The towels had been used to clean and recoat doors with linseed oil.

The sprinkler system left 3 inches of water in some areas of the building. Damage was estimated at $5,000.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices