Second man charged in murder of man found stabbed, shot in alley - FOX 10 News |

Second man charged in murder of man found stabbed, shot in alley

Posted: Updated:
Andre Davis / photo from Chicago Police Andre Davis / photo from Chicago Police
Derrick A. Hilliard / photo from Chicago Police Derrick A. Hilliard / photo from Chicago Police
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) - A second man is now charged with murder in connection with the death of a man found stabbed and shot in a South Side alley last October.

Derrick A. Hilliard, 37, is charged with first-degree murder and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon in connection with the Oct. 7, 2013 attack that killed 19-year-old Jamal Harmon, authorities said.

He is the second person this week to be charged in the slaying, authorities said.

Andre Davis -- a man who previously served 32 years in prison for an unrelated rape and murder before being exonerated by DNA evidence in 2012 -- is also charged with murder and kidnapping in Harmon’s death, police said previously.

About 3 a.m. on the night of the attack, Harmon was at a party hosted by Davis’ nephew in the 6500 block of South Ross Avenue, authorities said. Harmon and the nephew got into an argument outside of the home over money lost at a dice game during the party.

Davis’ nephew went back into the house, then came back outside with a handgun and shot Harmon, prosecutors claimed at Davis’ bond hearing. A witness said Harmon made sounds after he was shot, indicating he was still alive.

Hilliard has since been identified as the man who allegedly shot and stabbed the man, police News Affairs said Friday night.

Davis and the witness carried Harmon to the trunk of a Cadillac, prosecutors said. Davis drove off with Harmon in the trunk, telling others he was going to find a spot to dump him.

Harmon’s body was discovered later that morning in an alley in the 7600 block of South Carpenter Street, prosecutors said. He had suffered three gunshot wounds to the face, lower neck and left armpit, and had been stabbed four times.

An autopsy found Harmon died of multiple stab and gunshot wounds, and his death was ruled a homicide, according to the medical examiner’s office.

The next day, Davis told someone he cut Harmon’s throat, prosecutors said.

Hilliard, of the 8300 block of South King Drive, is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing Saturday, police said.

Davis, 52, of the 8200 block of South Eberhart Avenue, was ordered held without bond during a hearing Thursday, authorities said.

According to media reports at the time, Davis served more than 30 years in prison for the August 1980 rape and murder of 3-year-old girl Brianna Stickle in downstate Rantoul.

DNA evidence overturned his conviction and he was released from prison in July 2012, about 15 months before Harmon’s death. Prosecutors did not retry Davis, claiming it would have been too hard to bring a 32-year-old case to trial.

Along with he 1980 murder conviction, Davis has also previously been charged with attempted murder, aggravated discharge of a weapon, and two counts of aggravated battery, according to court records. He currently faces two misdemeanor counts of DUI.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices