Bathroom ceiling fan left on for hours to blame for house fire - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com

Bathroom ceiling fan left on for hours to blame for house fire

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX (KSAZ) - Investigators say a fire that started in a home's bathroom was due to a fan that had been left on for hours -- maybe days.

The house near 22nd Street and Washington was vacant when firefighters arrived at the scene around 6:30 a.m. Friday to find flames shooting from the roof.

"My daughter came in and woke me up and said, Gertrude's house is on fire," said Frances Strength, a neighbor.

Fire investigators say the fire started in the master bathroom's ceiling fan -- it had been left on for too long. 

Crews returned to the home later in the day to make sure the fire wasn't smoldering.  They recommend checking fans and other units around the house.

"So anytime you think about a home that you're living in right now, think about the date of it.. when's the last time we changed this out, that out, how old is our bathroom fan? How old is our swamp cooler? How old is our air conditioning unit? Because you want to make sure that you have the latest technology," said Capt. Rob McDade of the Phoenix Fire Department.

"My daughter is scared, she said we gotta make sure everything is okay around our house.. scary, yeah," said Strength.  "Luckily, she wasn't home.. she had been by herself."

Grateful her friend had moved out, Strength says the house can be repaired.

Firefighters say this can happen with a bathroom fan, air conditioning unit or swamp cooler during these hot Arizona summer months.
Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices