PHOENIX (KSAZ) -
A second grade student at Paseo Hills School died after an object may have obstructed his airway while eating lunch on Friday.
Officials say after Javier Lopez became unresponsive at 11:10 a.m., a teacher performed the Heimlich maneuver and the school's nurse assisted with CPR. Lopez was transported to an area hospital. At 11:55 a.m., the school was informed that he did not survive.
Paseo Hills School statement:
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family during this tragic time. Deer Valley's Crisis Response Team will be on campus for the rest of the day for any student or staff member in need of support. The Crisis Response Team will also be available next week. The focus for Paseo Hills remains on the learning and safety of our students."
Letter from the Principal:
Dear Paseo Hills Families,
It is with a heavy heart that I share some tragic information with you. Today at approximately 11:10 a.m., a second grade student, Javier Lopez, was eating lunch in the cafeteria and became unresponsive. It appeared that he may have had an object obstructing his airway. A teacher performed the Heimlich maneuver and the school's nurse assisted with CPR. Javier was transported to a nearby hospital and we were informed at approximately 11:55 a.m. that he did not survive. Please keep Javier and the Paseo Hills community in your thoughts and prayers today. Deer Valley's Crisis Response Team will be on campus for the rest of the day for any student or staff member in need of support. The Crisis Response Team will also be available next week. If any member of the school community needs to speak to someone over the weekend, the following organizations can offer support:
Empact Counseling (480) 784-1514 Terros 24- Hour Crisis Line (602) 222-9444 Teen Lifeline (602) 248-8336, 3-9 p.m. 7/week
Thank you, Trevor Ettenborough, Principal
Second grade student dies after choking at schoolMore>>