Man killed, 3 others injured in fiery crash on I-290 near Elmhurst

ELMHURST (Sun-Times Media Wire) - An Indiana man was killed and three other people were injured in a fiery seven-vehicle crash Thursday afternoon on Interstate 290 near Elmhurst.

A black 2016 Kenworth semi was eastbound shortly before 2 p.m. in the far right lane of I-290 near St. Charles Road when it hit the back of a red 2004 Chrysler that was stopped in traffic, according to a statement from Illinois State Police. The impact forced the Chrysler "into and under the rear of" a white 2013 International semi trailer.

The impact of that collision caused the International semi to hit the rear of an orange 2009 Peterbilt semi, state police said. The impact also caused the International's trailer to veer left and hit a gold 2016 Subaru SUV in the center lane.

That crash pushed the Subaru left, causing it to hit a black 2016 Ford SUV, which in turn crashed into the left-side concrete barrier, state police said. A white 2018 Toyota van then crashed into the back of the Ford.

The driver of the Chrysler, 37-year-old Christopher Follett of Munster, Indiana, was killed in the crash, according to state police and the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. An autopsy Friday found he died of multiple injuries from the crash and his death was ruled an accident.

The 47-year-old Wisconsin man driving the Kenworth semi and the 58-year-old Blue Island man driving the International semi were taken to Elmhurst Hospital while the 52-year-old Indiana man driving the Peterbilt semi was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, state police said. All three of the were expected to survive.

All other drivers involved in the crash - a 54-year-old Schaumburg woman, a 37-year-old St. Charles man and a 25-year-old Bartlett man - were treated at the scene, state police said.

The driver of the Kenworth and the 25-year-old Bartlett man, who was driving the Toyota, were each cited for failure to reduce speed, state police said.

All eastbound lanes of I-290 were closed for investigation and removal of debris until 2:50 a.m. Friday, according to state police.