Robert F. Kennedy Jr., President-elect Donald Trump's nominee to be Secretary of Health and Human Services arrives for meetings at the U.S. Capitol on December 19, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy notified two leaders of a health screening task force that they were being removed from their appointments immediately, years before the end of their terms.
Dr. John Wong and Dr. Esa Davis chaired the U.S. Preventive Service Task Force, which was formed in the 1980s, composed of experts who examine the latest evidence in clinical preventive services to improve the health of Americans.
The influential health group also helps determine for millions of Americans when insurance must provide free and preventive care, such as mammograms and colonoscopies.
Over the past year, the Department of Health and Human Services left several topics, like the long-expected updates on cervical cancer screenings, up in the air after the task force was indefinitely postponed by the administration.
What we don't know:
The notifications, which were made by letter on May 11, did not give specifics on why the two were being removed but said their "leadership, contributions and expertise" helped improve the health of Americans and then encouraged them to reapply.
What's next:
Last month, Secretary Kennedy told lawmakers that he intends to reform the task force, which he labeled "lackadaisical" because of the infrequency of meetings.
Some health experts believed Kennedy was looking to replace the panel with less experienced political appointees, as he has done with a critical vaccine advisory committee.