Who is Aaron Lukas? What to know about Tulsi Gabbard's replacement

Loading Video…

This browser does not support the Video element.

What we know about acting director of national intelligence

Pres. Trump says Principal Deputy Director Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director of national intelligence after Tulsi Gabbard submitted her resignation on Friday. 

Aaron Lukas, the principal deputy director of national intelligence, will step in as acting director of national intelligence after Tulsi Gabbard leaves her post on June 30. 

Gabbard, who has served in President Donald Trump’s cabinet since he took office for a second term in 2025, is stepping down following her husband's rare cancer diagnosis. 

Who is Aaron Lukas? 

What we know:

According to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) website, Lukas has worked in the intelligence community for more than 20 years. 

Lukas has previously served as a CIA station chief, and as chief of staff at ODNI during Trump’s first term. He was also the deputy senior director for Europe and Russia at the National Security Council. Before he joined the intelligence community, Lukas worked at the Office of the United States Trade Representative and the Cato Institute, where he met his wife. 

Aaron Lukas (Office of the Director of National Intelligence)

What they're saying:

"Aaron understands firsthand the work of intelligence collectors and analysts because he has done it himself," Gabbard said in a news release announcing Lukas’ confirmation. "I'm confident he will help us bring much needed transformational change, transparency, accountability, and mission focus to the IC."

"He is certified in the CIA's most advanced tradecraft and has conducted covert operations and managed liaison relationships around the globe, leveraging his unique training and foreign language skills," ODNI’s website says. 

"He knows the importance of having a strong intelligence capability and how it should function when done properly, without bias or stifling bureaucracy."

What we don't know:

It’s unclear who Trump plans to nominate as Gabbard’s permanent replacement. 

Tulsi Gabbard resigns

Dig deeper:

While Gabbard says her departure is for personal reasons, the juxtaposition between her long-held, anti-interventionism stance and Trump’s series of overseas military operations had seemed to put them on a collision course.

Loading Video…

This browser does not support the Video element.

Tulsi Gabbard resigns from Trump Cabinet

On Friday, Tulsi Gabbard announced that she is resigning from her job as President Donald Trump's director of national intelligence, saying her husband had been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer and she was leaving her role to help him. Politico’s White House reporter Diana Nerozzi joins LiveNOW’s Mike Pache to discuss

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said "Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her." 

RELATED: 'Iran wasn't developing a nuclear weapon,' ex-counterterrorism chief says

There had been rumblings that Gabbard would split with Trump after the president’s decision to strike Iran, which caused some division within his administration. Joe Kent, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, announced his resignation in March and said he "cannot in good conscience" back the war.

The Source: This article includes information from ODNI’s website, The Associated Press and previous FOX Local reporting.

PoliticsU.S.News