Sam's Club in Surprise to remain closed for Aug. 29 due to fire on the roof

Officials with the Surprise Fire & Medical Department say their crews responded to a small fire at a wholesale warehouse in the Northwest Valley city on Aug. 29.

According to Battalion Chief Larry Subervi, the fire burned at a Sam's Club in the area of Loop 303 and Bell Road. Despite initial reports that solar panels were involved in the fire, Battalion Chief Subervi said it now appears the panels were not involved in the fire, as the main materials that were burning were plywood roofing materials and foam insulation.

"There were no firefighter or civilian injuries. The warehouse is expected to stay closed for the evening as there is water damage in addition to the roof damage," read a portion of Battalion Chief Subervi's statement.

Incident Scene