FBI: Person in custody in connection with drive-by shooting outside federal courthouse in Downtown Phoenix

Officials with the FBI say a person is in custody in connection with a drive-by shooting outside the federal courthouse in Downtown Phoenix that left a person injured.

In a brief statement announcing the update, FBI officials did not identify the person in custody, nor did they release any additional information, other than saying there is "no further information to suggest there is a continued threat to public safety." However, FOX 10 has learned the person was arrested near 9th and Polk. Investigators and bomb squad crews later searched the man's car.

Security officer wounded

The person who was wounded was identified as a security officer. The victim was transported to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries after the shooting, which happened outside of the Sandra Day O'Connor federal courthouse on Sept. 15. The officer's name and agency they work for have not been released. 

According to Sgt. Ann Justus of the Phoenix Police Department, a vehicle was seen leaving the area near 6th Avenue and Washington Street.

In surveillance video, the alleged suspect can be seen fleeing the scene after the incident. 

City Councilman Sal DiCiccio said in a statement that "multiple shots were fired at the officer who was struck in the vest."   

He said the officer was shot in front of the Sandra Day O'Connor federal building.   

"If you didn't think it could happen here, it just did," DiCiccio added.

Changes at Phoenix Police announced

Meanwhile, the shooting has led to changes at the Phoenix Police Department, whose headquarters are located across the street from the scene of the shooting.

On Tuesday, officials announced the implementation of two-person patrols. Following the announcement, the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association releasing a statement that reads:

"I wish we were able to have two person patrols all of the time, but just been a high profile attack on an officer occurs. Unfortunately, we will resume single person patrols soon after this incident because we don’t have the personnel to continue doing it."

People nearby react

The shooting happened during daytime hours. Alonzo Garza was nearby, and heard the whole incident unfold.

"I heard the first two shots and assumed they were gunshots already, so I kept walking and heard the rest of the shots, about four or five, after that about six or seven," said Garza.

If you have any information about this case, contact Phoenix PD: 602-262-6151 or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS. You can remain anonymous and receive a cash award for tips leading to an arrest or indictment.

This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 10 News for updates.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.