CMPD: Man shot in Charlotte during protests dies in hospital

One person is dead and two other people were taken to the hospital during protests Wednesday evening in Uptown Charlotte, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney and emergency personnel.

According to police, the shooting occurred at 8:31 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 21 in the 100 block of E. Trade Street in the Central Division.

Upon arrival, police located Justin Carr, 26, suffering from a gunshot wound. Carr was transported by Medic to Carolinas Medical Center.

On Thursday, September 22 Carr was pronounced dead at the hospital as a result of his injuries. His family has been notified of his death.

Detectives with the Homicide Unit canvassed the area to determine whether there were any witnesses to this incident. Crime Scene Search responded to the call for service to process the scene and collect physical evidence.

App users click here for embedded content.

During an interview with Megan Kelly on FOX News Wednesday night, Chief Putney confirmed that the "last information we got is deceased at this point."

The City of Charlotte first tweeted out that the shooting was fatal and that it was civilian on civilian. CMPD did not fire the shot, according to the tweet.

However, the City of Charlotte issued a correction at about 10:43 p.m. Wednesday stating that the person who suffered the gunshot wound during the protests was on life support and in critical condition. They were not deceased, according to the tweet.

FOX News reported that at least seven officers were taken to the hospital.

Medic said they responded to multiple incident in Uptown, specifically around the College Street area. They said a total of three patients were related to the situation in Uptown. One person had a life-threatening gun shot wound and later died. The other two had non life threatening injuries.

A large amount of blood could be seen on the street.

Flash bangs and tear gas were released into the area. People could be seen running away from the scene.

Demonstrators took to the streets in what started as peaceful protest over the death of Keith Lamont Scott, who was shot and killed by a police officer on Tuesday. When the protest reached the EpiCentre in Charlotte, that's when the situation appeared to turn violent.

According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police, officers were searching for a suspect with an outstanding warrant on Tuesday at The Village at College Downs when they came across Keith Lamont Scott inside a vehicle at the apartment complex. They said Scott had a gun and threatened the officers.

"He is armed, with a handgun that we found on scene as well...Makes some imminent threat to them and because of that, at least one of our officers fired rounds at the subject," according to CMPD officers during a press conference.

Family members said Scott was unarmed, but Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police confirmed that Scott did have a gun on him.

Scott was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with life-threatening injuries where he later passed away.

During protests Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, demonstrators headed to the Walmart on N. Tryon in the University area after shutting down Interstate-85 at WT Harris Blvd.

Officers in riot gear blocked the entry to Walmart after it was broken into. Employees could be seen sweeping up shattered glass.

After peaceful demonstrations turned violent Wednesday, Gov. Pat McCrory (R-NC) said the State Highway Patrol would be coming to assist CMPD officers.

Here is the full statement:

"I want to assure the people of North Carolina that our SBI has already been assisting the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department throughout the last 24 hours. Upon a very recent request of Chief Putney, the State Highway Patrol is sending in troopers to further help the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department. The state has many additional assets nearby to assist. Any violence directed toward our citizens or police officers or destruction of property should not be tolerated. I support and commend the law enforcement officials for their bravery and courage during this difficult situation."

This is a breaking news story. Keep refreshing for updates.