Flames break out in apartment under renovation

A fire sparked in an empty unit at an apartment complex near 21st Avenue and Union Hills early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters say a unit under renovation caught fire at the union hills condominium complex around 1 a.m.

No one was working in the unit at the time the fire broke out.

Firefighters say the flames were coming from an exhaust fan.

There was heavy smoke when they arrived and crews needed to cut a hole through the roof to get to the fire.

The got the fire out pretty quickly and kept it from spreading to any other units.

No one will be displaced.

We're told one firefighter had a minor injury, but it wasn't caused by the flames.

The firefighter was hit in the head by a hose as crews were setting up to battle the flames.