Gilbert family homeless after morning fire
GILBERT, Ariz. (KSAZ) - A Gilbert family lost their home, and investigators believe the young daughter started the blaze.
"There's this much rubble in the house, the whole ceilings are down, and everything," said Aimee Robinson.
Aimee Robinson and her family are now searching for any salvageable items from their Gilbert home.
"My daughter, my youngest, my 5-year-old went in, and we thought she was just going to the bathroom, and she came out a few minutes later saying mommy, mommy, your bed is on fire," said Robinson.
Unbeknownst to anyone, her youngest daughter had found a light and sparked the blaze Saturday night.
"Within 5-10 minutes the house was completely up, and within 5-10 minutes more the fire trucks and everybody was here," she said.
"We grabbed blankets and tried to put it out, and it just got worse," said Robinson.
"I talked to her later when everything calmed down, and I said were you playing with fire, and she said yes mommy, I'm so sorry I lit your bed on fire," she said.
The family of five made it out, but, unfortunately the family's dog did not, Robinson says the whole ordeal has shaken her young daughter, it's a tough life lesson to learn.
"She's going to have to live with this for her life because she knows the dog died," said Robinson.
The family is now working to get back on their feet.
"The community has reached out, I just feel blessed. I know my house just burned down, but I feel more blessed than I ever have in my life, the community is great the way it reached out," she said.
The Arizona Red Cross has temporarily put the family up in a motel until they can find a new place to rent.