Republicans likely to drop $1B White House ballroom security proposal
FILE-Demolition work continues where the East Wing once stood at the White House on December 08, 2025 in Washington, D.C. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Senate Republicans are expected to give up on a proposed plan for $1 billion in security money for the White House complex and President Donald Trump’s ballroom.
GOP leaders attempted to add the money to a $70 billion bill to revive funding to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Border Patrol.
The security proposal faced criticism from Republican legislators who are skeptical of the cost and how American taxpayer dollars would be utilized.
RELATED: Trump administration must suspend White House ballroom construction, judge orders
According to the Associated Press, so far, the bill’s text hasn’t been released, but the Senate hopes to pass it this week and send it to the House before leaving for Memorial Day recess.
Democrats have denounced Republicans for attempting to fund Trump’s ballroom when voters are concerned about basic affordability issues — and as some Republicans have become frustrated with Trump.
In March, a federal judge ordered the Trump administration to suspend its construction of a $400 million ballroom where it demolished the East Wing of the White House.
Republicans question Secret Service security request for Trump ballroom
Dig deeper:
The Associated Press reported that under the Secret Service’s request, roughly $220 million would be allocated for security improvements tied to the White House ballroom. Remaining funding would be used for a new screening center for visitors, training, and other security initiatives.
What they're saying:
Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., told the AP that the attempt to attach the security package to the bill was a "bad idea." The bill should not have included the other security improvements, Tillis said, "because it’s just giving everybody the ‘billion-dollar ballroom.'"
Other Republicans in the House and Senate are questioning the Secret Service request, with senators saying they need more information.
White House ballroom
The backstory:
The White House announced the ballroom project over the summer.
President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social in October 2025 to say ground had been broken on the ballroom construction.
EARLIER: White House demolition begins for Trump's ballroom: See photos
"Completely separate from the White House itself, the East Wing is being fully modernized as part of this process and will be more beautiful than ever when it is complete!" Trump wrote.
"For more than 150 years, every President has dreamt about having a Ballroom at the White House to accommodate people for grand parties, State Visits, etc. I am honored to be the first President to finally get this much-needed project underway — with zero cost to the American Taxpayer!" he continued.
Big picture view:
A 90,000-square-foot, glass-walled space is being added to accommodate 999 people, up from an approximate 200-person capacity in the East Room, which is currently the largest room in the White House.
The White House has been pushing back against criticism of the ballroom plan by noting the history of add-ons to the Executive Mansion during its more than 200-year existence.
In March 2026, a federal judge ordered the Trump administration to suspend its construction of a $400 million ballroom where it demolished the East Wing of the White House.
The Source: Information for this story was provided by The Associated Press and previous FOX Local reporting. This story was reported from Washington, D.C.