UPenn police officer speaks after West Philly shooting

University Pennsylvania police officer Ed Miller is out of the hospital and very lucky to be alive. He spoke at the FOP Monday night.

"I guess I'm lucky. All I can think about is I'm very lucky," said officer Ed Miller.

READ MORE: Eagles players visited wounded officer

Wounded University of Pennsylvania police officer Ed Miller arrived at the FOP headquarters Monday night on crutches, smiling and insisting he's fine just three days after he was shot in a chaotic gun battle with a shooting suspect in West Philadelphia..

Miller, who retired from the Philadelphia Police Department after 33 years on the force, was shot twice as exited his patrol car to chase Nicholas Glenn and immediately came under fire from Glenn as the gunman entered an alley off 48th and Sansom.

"All I do is hope I made my brothers and sisters proud out there doing the job that I was trained to do," said Officer Miller.

Miller recounted how he felt when his wife and two children arrived at the hospital.

"I was happy to see them, very happy."

MORE: Wounded Officer released from the hospital

The 56-year-old Miller was shot in the hip and ankle. He left the hospital Sunday morning. He came to FOP headquarters Monday night for a tailgate party that helped raise funds for Miller and wounded Sgt. Sylvia Young who was ambushed by Glenn in her patrol car. Glenn fired 18 shots into her car, according to police. Young's vest stopped five shots; three struck her arm and side. She remains hospitalized.

"I asked about her as soon as I got to the hospital. I went to see her before I left. I wish her the best. She definitely dealt with more than I had to deal with," said Miller.

Officer Miller says he's on the mend and has every intention of going back to work at a job he loves; being a police officer.

"It's in my blood, I'll be back. I'll be back as soon as i can," he explained.

The FOP is raising funds for both officers. Sgt Young is expected to be released from the hospital on Tuesday.