JOHNS CREEK, Ga. - Authorities in Johns Creek said several dozen children involved in a swim meet became violently ill and were rushed to an area hospital Tuesday evening.
It happened at the Lifetime Fitness located at 11555 Johns Creek Parkway around 7:15 p.m. Johns Creek officials said about 28 children between the ages of 10 and 12 were at an outside pool when they started to feel sick.
Firefighters said the lifeguard noticed the children in the pool were experiencing severe eye irritation, difficulty breathing, and evening vomiting. Eight children were transported as a precaution to various area hospital. All are expected to survive.
Johns Creek Fire is investigating a possible malfunctioning automatic chlorine filter which may have blended too much chlorine into the pool. Officials said it caused the pool to change color.
The pool has been closed until appropriate repairs are made and levels return to normal.