TEMPE, Ariz. (FOX 10) - A staple sports bar and restaurant in Tempe, Doc & Eddy's was ripped down today. The bar, located near Rural and Baseline, caught fire early St. Patrick's Day morning, devastating the community of its loss.
A lit cigarette thrown into a garbage can inside sparked the blaze.
"We suffered a loss, a 100 percent loss," Sean Cleary said. "Since then, it's been a little bit of a waiting game, but today is a phenomenal day. You can call it demolition, but I call it rebuild."
After the fire, dozens of employees were out of work. In an effort to help, the bar's owner planned a fundraiser for his workers who he calls "his family and friends," but the employees have a different plan for the proceeds.
"They've unanimously decided last week that they don't want the money," Cleary said. "They want all of the proceeds to go to first responders and the 100 Club, so that was very heartfelt. That was awesome."
Moving forward after demolition, Cleary says they can start fresh. Plans to rebuild are already underway.
"Rebuild, we're going to make it a little brighter and a lot busier," he said. "Things will be different. Everything will be upgraded, but when people walk into Doc & Eddy's, they're still going to walk into doc & Eddy's."