Police: Suspect, 2 others dead following shooting at Phoenix motel

Police say three people are dead, including the suspect, following a shooting at Phoenix motel.

Phoenix police say 26-year-old Daterryn McBride entered the lobby of the Motel 6 near Interstate 17 and Northern and shot three people, killing 44-year-old Robert Sykes and 44-year-old Brian Harris, who was an employee of the motel.

The third victim, a 25-year-old employee of the motel, was shot by the suspect when he arrived at the motel to rent a room.

He was taken to a hospital where he remains in extremely critical condition.

Investigators say two other victims, a 46-year-old man and 32-year-old woman, were seen driving a red pickup truck erratically by a Phoenix police motorcycle officer. After stopping the pickup truck, the officer learned the couple had been shot and both victims were taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

After discovering the shooting victims at the Motel 6, police responded to a call at a nearby apartment, where a woman said she was in the parking lot with her husband and 4-month-old baby, when they were approached by the suspect at gunpoint.

The suspect demanded the couples' car, ordered the woman's husband into the car and drove off.

The suspect was then found by police near 19th Avenue and Camelback Road, but he escaped from officers and traveled onto northbound I-17, where the stolen car became disabled.

The suspect then left the disabled car, crossed the highway to the southbound lanes and stole a second vehicle at gunpoint.

With police in pursuit, the suspect headed southbound on I-17 and exited at Seventh Avenue and turned south onto 16th Street.

The suspect then came to a dead end, crashed the second stolen vehicle and ran to a nearby field.

As soon as he was confronted by police, the suspect shot himself in the head and was transported to a nearby hospital where he later died.

Police say they do not know the suspect's motive, but the investigation is ongoing.

Sykes' family spoke out about their brother to FOX 10 Monday. He was a graduate of Wickenburg High School and settled in Phoenix.

"We lost our father, and it was really hard, and he was our rock through it," said Barbara Wortham.

Wortham fought back tears as she spoke about her brother. Detectives say Sykes had accidentally locked himself out of his hotel room and went to the lobby to get an extra key. It was then that he was shot in the back.

His family believes he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"He was a good person, with a good heart. He liked to have a lot of fun, he loved music, he loved wrestling, he liked meeting celebrities, and he was really good at it," said Wortham.

Wortham has started a GoFundMe page for her brother.

If you'd like to donate visit: https://www.gofundme.com/robertsykes_ourbro