15 children sick after eating unknown substance at Mesa elementary school

MESA, Ariz. (FOX 10) - Firefighters say an 11-year-old girl was hospitalized after she and 14 other children ate an unknown substance from a "pixie stick" at Eisenhower Elementary School near 8th Street and Mesa Drive.

The school district notified parents of the children in question.

The Mesa Police Department says it is believed the candy came from another student and the victims' symptoms appear to be nausea and dizziness.

The candy was field tested by police and results were negative for drugs.

Mesa Public Schools statement