Shelter in place lifted for chemical leak in Buckeye, HAZMAT situation

(SkyFOX screenshot)

A shelter in place order issued by Buckeye Police was lifted after a hazmat spill of nitric acid launched an orange gas into the air from an agricultural company located at the intersection of Rainbow Road and Southern Avenue.

The chemical leak incident happened at Thatcher Company of Arizona, where an orange cloud could be seen emitting from a garage door on the side of the company's warehouse.

Officials say 200 gallons of nitric acid leaked into a basin, reacting with a metal that caused the gas to form.

There were 80 people dispatched to help contain the leak. No firefighters were injured in the incident.

"There is a nitric acid tank that sprung a leak and the fluids of that are being contained in a concrete basin. When it gets to that basin it can have a reaction - and it is - and that what we are seeing in the sky," Buckeye Assistant Fire Chief Rayne Gray said.

He added the wind helped to dilute the chemicals that were being released from the building.

"What we're asking folks to do is if they are feeling any effects, to evacuate their homes and head on over to one of our local libraries where they can stay cool and hydrated," Gray said.

Those in the area are encouraged to go to the Coyote Library at Yuma and Dean roads or go to the police department.

The situation is expected to last for several more hours as of 6:30 p.m.

Image 1 of 3

(SkyFOX screenshot)