(WOFL) - The Florida Department of Health in Orange County is urging residents to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide in the wake of Hurricane Irma.
As many Floridians begin the task of cleaning up, the DOH is advising residents to take the proper precautions when using gas-powered appliances and charcoal or gas grills.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas, and is highly poisonous. Depending on the level of exposure, CO may cause fatigue, weakness, chest pains for those with heart disease, shortness of breath upon exertion, nausea, vomiting, headaches, confusion, lack of coordination, impaired vision, loss of consciousness, and in severe cases, death.
The DOH recommends the following precautions be taken to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning: