Man pleads guilty to running human smuggling operation out of Phoenix trailer park

FILE - Generic gavel on wooden table.

A man pleaded guilty in federal court on Oct. 19 to operating a human smuggling stash house out of a trailer park in Phoenix, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

On Sept. 21, 2021, Macario Barragan-Cisneros was taken into custody after 29 migrants were found in and around a trailer at Camino Vista Mobile Home near 67th Avenue and Van Buren.

All of the immigrants were from Mexico and Guatemala, officials said. An investigation revealed that the trailer was part of a smuggling operation where migrants were taken illegally across the U.S. - Mexico border near Nogales and taken to Phoenix.

Barragan-Cisneros, who is from Mexico, admitted to transporting and harboring migrants for profit. He faces 10 years in prison, a maximum fine of $250,000, or both.

Homeland Security, Border Patrol and the U.S. Attorney's Office all played a role in the investigation and prosecution.

More Arizona headlines

Arizona AG calls for DOJ to probe Facebook after it says users can share info on how to enter US illegally

Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich had written to Facebook earlier this year about media reports that smugglers were using the social media platform, as well as others, to advertise their services to migrants.

Tucson Border Patrol agents seize more than 50 pounds of fentanyl hidden in truck bed

Agents were working at the Interstate 19 checkpoint near Amado, Arizona when a K-9 alerted them as truck was passing through.

Arizona Gov. Ducey goes to Texas in border push with other GOP governors

Ducey spokesman C. J. Karamargin said seven other GOP governors planned to attend the event, where they unveiled a 10-point border security plan.

Sign up for FOX 10 email alerts, newsletters

Tune in to FOX 10 Phoenix for the latest news: