Mobile home fire leaves Valley man homeless, uninjured

PHOENIX (KSAZ) - A mobile home fire on 16th Street and Union Hills early Sunday morning has left one Valley man uninjured but displaced just before New Year's Day.

Fire crews say the man was trying to warm up in his home in Sunrise Heights Mobile Home Park, but in minutes, something sparked and his home was on fire.

Officials are still investigating how the fire started.

"They may have gotten out of the house with the clothes on their back, but they've lost medication, durable medical equipment, personal effects." said Michael Young from American Red Cross.

Young knows all too well that life doesn't always go as planned, and as a volunteer, he is one of the first to arrive at scenes like this.

"We provide financial support to help them get into a hotel, as well as get some clothes and food, as well as follow up with him within 24 hours to talk with them about the 'new normal' following the house fire," said Young.

Young explained that the little things make a difference - a toothbrush and soap, a hot meal, and even a hug.

"You give them a sense of hope because after something like this there's a sense of hopelessness," explained Young. "And somebody that shows up and says, hey, we'll help you, we'll make sure you've got something over the next 24 hours, that is so very, very important."