PHOENIX (FOX 10) - An out-of-state hiker has been put into a coma after getting overheated during a hike at Camelback Mountain.
Nebraska native Lois Nigrin first pulled off Camelback Mountain with what started as a bad sunburn. It was then upgraded to a heat stroke, and then, a possible organ failure.
"I think this came as a shock to everyone," said family friend Suzy Dodson.
Dodson and her son, Chase, live in the Valley, and Nigrin was Chase's favorite teacher when they lived in Omaha.
"She had a bright personality and make it fun and a lot easier for a kid just going to school," said Chase.
Nigrin, a fit 54-year-old, came to Phoenix with her husband for a birthday vacation, but apparently arrived too early to check into the hotel, and decided to take the hike. Now, the entire Nigrin family is in Phoenix, huddling around Lois' hospital bed to care for her.
GoFundMe for Joe and Lois Nigrin