Police Sgt. released from the hospital and escorted home after shootout

The first officer targeted in a gunman's hate-fueled rampage is out of the hospital and a police escort is accompanying her home.

Philadelphia Sgt. Sylvia Young looked emotional while being welcomed by a line of dozens of uniformed police officers saluting her. The 19-year veteran -- with her arm in a sling -- was wheeled out of Penn-Presbyterian at about 1pm Tuesday. Then, she stood up on her own feet before a highway patrol escorted her home.

Among those in the crowd on this day, was Officer Jesse Hartnett who was at the hospital for rehab after his ninth surgery to repair wounds from a January ambush they put him in the crosshairs of a man claiming allegiance to ISIS. Hartnett has lived this scene himself.

Ross says Sergeant Young will also face rehab and time away from the job to deal with physical and emotional wounds. But this spectacle, this show of support, is meant to let her know her comrades will be waiting when she returns.

Sgt. Young was one of two officers shot in West Philadelphia, late Friday night, along with three other people. One of them, a 25-year-old woman, was killed.

Investigators say at about 11:18pm Friday, Young was parked and sitting in her patrol vehicle at 52nd and Sansom streets and when she was approached by a man, later identified as Nicholas Glenn, who was armed with a 9mm handgun began firing approximately 18 rounds at the driver's side of Sgt. Young's vehicle.

She was hit in her left shoulder, arm and torso area of her body, taken to the hospital, and listed in stable condition.

Glenn then ran away eastbound on Sansom and arriving officers chased him.

While running, Glenn passed the Maximum Level Lounge in the 5100 block of Sansom Street while a 42-year-old manager and 41-year-old barmaid were in the open doorway, helping a wheelchair-bound patron.

Glenn then turned back and fired approximately five rounds at them, hitting the manager in both legs and the barmaid in her right ankle. Both were taken to the hospital in stable condition.

Then, Glenn kept running and approached a 2011 Nissan Altima with a 36-year-old man and 25-year-old woman - later identified as Sara Silah - inside.

Glenn fired his weapon again -- multiple times at both of them - hitting the man in his arm and chest and Silah multiple times in her chest. Both were taken to the hospital. The man was listed in critical condition, but Silah didn't make it.

Glenn continued further eastbound on Sansom and fired at two responding officers in a marked Ford Explorer - hitting their vehicle on the hood and driver's side door while they were responding to an 'Assist Officer' radio call. The officers were not injured.

Then, in the 100 block of S. 48th Street, Police Officer Edward Miller of the University of Pennsylvania Police Department confronted Glenn. There was a shootout, Miller was hit in his hip and leg area, and taken to the hospital in stable condition. He was released Sunday.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH: Officer Miller arrived at the FOP's Monday Night Football party on crutches. He smiled, insisted he's fine, and said he's primarily concerned about the other victims.

Then, Glenn, 56, exchanged gunfire with other Philadelphia police officers. At the end, Glenn had been shot several times and killed.

Later, Glenn was found to have a note with the heading "Doomed People" which indicated his hatred toward his probation/parole Officers and police, among other unclear statements.

Glenn's gun, a Ruger Model SR9, 9MM, semi-automatic pistol with obliterated serial numbers was recovered at the scene. The firearm was loaded with fourteen live 9MM rounds. There were three empty magazines throughout the scene that Glenn had discarded as he emptied the magazines and re-loaded with spare magazines. It was determined Glenn discharged his firearm at least 51 times that night.