1 dead, 1 critically injured in serious motorcycle crash in Phoenix

PHOENIX (FOX 10) -- One person is dead and another was critically injured following a motorcycle crash in Phoenix on Sunday, just before 7 p.m. in the intersection of Baseline and 48th Street.

"Investigators determined a Chevy Cobalt driven by an adult male proceeded through the intersection on a green light and turned left in front of an approaching motorcycle. The collision threw the motorcycle operator and passenger from the bike. They each suffered critical injury as neither were wearing helmets," stated Phoenix Police Sgt. Vince Lewis.

Lewis stated the suspect, 28-year-old Thomas Dennison "..did show signs of impairment and was later booked into jail on one count of Manslaughter and Aggravated Assault."

According to police, Dennison is no stranger to the law and unfortunately, the victim, in this case, was a colleague of ours here at FOX 10.

Fifty-six-year-old William Curran was the Vice President-Director of Sales at FOX 10 for more than a decade. He will be remembered as a husband, father, grandfather - someone we are proud to have called a friend.

"It's difficult to process and he was close to all of us," said FOX 10 General Manager, Mark Rodman.

Rodman also stated Curran was a terrific employee and even a better boss to those he managed.

"Never lost his humanity and what can be a tough business, you know this is not easy, you know the television business these days and he had a great balance of the business side and the human side," he said.

The passenger on the motorcycle, a 59-year-old woman, remains hospitalized in extremely critical condition.

Investigators found several open containers in the car, including empty beer bottles, two 18 packs of beer and two empty bottles of Fireball Whisky. He had a blood alcohol level of 0.20 and he tested positive for cocaine.

The suspect is facing charges of manslaughter and aggravated assault. Police say he was driving on a revoked license, a prior DUI conviction, a prior reckless driving conviction and was involved in a traffic-related aggravated assault/hit and run in 2014.

"This should have never of happened, should never of happened. Will was on his way home to be with his family and that could never happen now because of this," said Rodman.

Dennison remains at the 4th Avenue Jail on a $250,000 bond. He is due back in court on March 11.