High speed police pursuit ends with fatal shooting in Tempe

It was a dramatic chase through Phoenix on Tuesday afternoon that started with a robbery on the west side of town and the suspects speeding down valley streets.

Police were on a hot pursuit and it led to an alley before ending violently with officers using a pit maneuver.

One suspect is dead and two others are in custody.

Detectives are going over the scenes and the evidence.

This started with a credit union robbery and ended after a long chase at the Interstate 10 eastbound on-ramp at Baseline Road in Tempe.

Police have confirmed the identity of the suspect as 31-year-old Steven Del Rio. We're told he had an extensive criminal history.

Officials say as soon as they were able to stop Del Rio's vehicle on the on-ramp, seconds later, they opened fire.

Well into the night, police were still at the scene, combing over the area where the pursuit ended in a barrage of gunfire.

Police stopped the SUV, killing the man that led them on the valley-wide chase.

"It was like.. pop, pop, pop.. and it kept going off.. I went outside to see what was happening. It was pretty crazy. It shook me a little bit," said a bystander.

The chase ended at the I-10 on-ramp at Baseline Road, but it all began at the Credit Union West branch near Litchfield Road and Van Buren in Avondale.

Police responded to a robbery call there and when they arrived at the scene, the suspect was driving away.

During the chase, shots were fired at the responding officers.

"It's ridiculous what these people are doing," said a bystander.

When the pursuit entered the city Phoenix, Phoenix Police took over, following the suspect on streets and through alleyways, where he appeared to stop at a home and throw something out of vehicle's window.

We spotted police going through the evidence, which included piles of cash.

The home belongs to the suspect's sister.

"Unfortunately, her brother made a decision today where he made a mistake and the consequence was losing his life," said a bystander.

Two of the suspects bailed out of the SUV and were quickly picked up by officers and a deputy from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office near 65th Avenue and Thomas Road. But the driver did not give up.

"He was going through an ordeal of his own and I observed him and tried to speak to him and help him and lead him in the right direction, but I don't think that he was too much for it because I think some men do change and some don't," said a bystander.

Phoenix and Avondale Police, along with the FBI continue to investigate the chaotic scene in the area around Baseline Road and I-10. The area will remain closed during the investigation.

Police have not stated what caused the officers to open fire so quickly or if they found a gun inside the suspect's vehicle.