Girl chokes on own scarf in playground mishap

A girl is recovering when she was nearly strangled by her own scarf after it got tangled up in playground equipment at a Mesa park.

The incident happened yesterday evening in Mesa at a park near Broadway and Sossaman

Rural Metro workers say the girl was sliding down a slide when her scarf got caught in the playground equipment and began strangling her.

At first she was not breathing.. but bystanders got her down and called 911. Dispatchers gave them instructions to perform CPR and soon she was breathing.

Rural Metro crews quickly took the girl to Maricopa Medical Center by medical helicopter, where she's reportedly in stable condition.