SUN CITY, Ariz. (KSAZ) -- Phoenix Fire Department officials say a Sun City firefighter was injured while battling a house fire on Friday.
The fire reportedly happened along the 10000 block of W. Canterbury in Sun City, and the firefighter was taken to Maricopa Integrated Health System.
"Thank you very much, firefighters. They have been great. They just took care of me that whole time I was here," said Dennis Butler. He was burning weeds in his backyard when he noticed the fire got a little too close to his home.
"It had just a little corner of the house," said Butler. "There was some flames coming. I got the garden hose. I even took the molding off. All the way off."
Butler said he thought he got the fire out, and then went on with his day.
"I thought it was fine, and I guess it sat there and smoldered or something," said Butler.
According to fire investigators, the flames smoldered all day, and eventually reached the attic, where things took a turn for the worse.
"There was big flames," said Butler. "I thought it was going to catch this guy on fire over here. Big time flames. By the time I see it, the road was on fire."
Butler said a stranger saved his life, banging on gis door to tell him there was a fire. He grabbed his shoes, and ran out of the house.
"That man was wonderful," said Butler. "I don't even know where he went, or where he lives or something."
Meanwhile, the firefighter injured is expected to be OK.