2 people hurt after fire destroys 2 homes in north Phoenix

Two people were burned in a double house fire in north Phoenix, firefighters said on May 20.

The Phoenix Fire Department says crews responding to the scene near 20th Street and Sweetwater Avenue were met with exploding propane tanks and downed power lines.

The fire quickly spread to three mobile homes. The fire attack was transitioned to a defensive strategy so that firefighters could prevent flames from spreading any further.

"That fire was immense when we arrived on scene, so at that point, we had to write off what was already lost, and start protecting from the inside out," said Phoenix Fire Captain Rob McDade.

Firefighters said one of the reasons the fire spread so quickly was because of windy conditions in the area. On top of that, the nearest fire hydrant was a block away.

Image 1 of 4

Multiple people have suffered second-degree burns in a double house fire in north Phoenix, firefighters said on May 20. (Phoenix Fire Department)

Dave, the owner of that home, said the fire started at his neighbor's house, then quickly spread to his.

"Tried to do as much as I could in the time that I had," said Dave. "Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough time."

Dave said he was sleeping when the fire happened.

"My son woke me up, said there was a fire next door, so we saw the fire going on, tried to get the dogs out."

Dave said there was a lot of debris in his neighbor's yard.

"When I walked out the door there [were] flames coming from the neighbor's, and they were starting to get pretty high, so we went back in and tried to get our dogs out," he said. "I went out to get the hose to try to fight the fire while my son was trying to get the dogs out, and he couldn't get them out, he had to get himself out, and here we are."

Approximately 40 firefighters were at the scene at one point. Dave said his son went back in to try and rescue the dogs, but suffered second and third degree burns on his arms. One puppy, named Lucy, survived.

A 60-year-old woman was also rushed to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Investigators are working to determine the cause of the fire.

"You've got different elevations, water supply, and like I said, we've got brush that also wants to catch on fire, and we've got homes, so that first fire engine company reported propane cylinders exploding, power lines exploding in the back," said Cpt. McDade. "A wind-driven fire that just wanted to eat up all the surrounding homes."

As for Dave and his family, they are trying to figure out their next steps.