Family escapes burning home in Phoenix, family pet dies

A family escaped their burning home overnight when it went up in flames in north Phoenix.

Fire crews responded to a house fire near 24th Street and Evans at about 1 a.m. today.

When crews arrived, the garage was up in flames and they were able to put them out before the fire extended to the rest of the home.

Firefighters say a couple and their four-year-old daughter escaped the home safely. They were able to bring out their pet dog and cat as well. Unfortunately, their pet reptile died in the fire.