Firefighters save puppy that fell down chimney

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (KSAZ) -- A puppy was in need of a helping hand (or two) on Sunday, as it somehow managed to get stuck in a chimney chute.

"It's a little more intense then the cat stuck in the tree, but luckily we had a good outcome," said Scottsdale firefighter John McPherson.

The fire crew from Scottsdale's Engine 601 received a not-so-typical call on Sunday, when a a woman told them she could hear her 10-week-old puppy crying from her fireplace upstairs. Using their thermal imaging camera. the firefighters were able to spot the pup at the bottom.

"Once we started looking at it, there was an 8x8 hole that the dog happened to get into, and it went about two feet back," said McPherson. "And then the dog fell about 10 feet to the bottom of the basement in the chimney."

It took crews about 15 minutes to bring the pup to safety.

"We had to break through the dry wall, and then we had to use the sledgehammer and had to break through," said McPherson. "It was actually cinder blocks on the other side of the drywall, so we used the sledgehammer and busted a hole big enough and just reached in and grabbed the dog out."

This made for a happy puppy with an even happier owner.