Suns eliminate Clippers from playoffs, Cardinals make multiple trades in NFL Draft : top sports stories
PHOENIX - The Phoenix Suns advanced to the second round of the playoffs after eliminating the Los Angeles Clippers in five games, and the Arizona Cardinals made several moves, capping a whirlwind draft for new general manager Monti Ossenfort – these are some of the top stories in the world of sports from April 24-30.
1. Devin Booker scores 47, leads Phoenix Suns past LA Clippers to win series: Devin Booker scored 47 points, including 25 in a spectacular third quarter, to lead the Phoenix Suns past the Los Angeles Clippers 136-130 and win the Western Conference first-round playoff series in five games. The Clippers didn’t go quietly, nearly coming back from a 20-point deficit early in the fourth.
Devin Booker of the Phoenix Suns reacts during the second quarter against the LA Clippers in game five of the Western Conference First Round Playoffs at Footprint Center on April 25, 2023, in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Image
2. Cardinals say ‘erratic behavior’ damaged McDonough’s career: The Arizona Cardinals and owner Michael Bidwill deny they are liable to front office executive Terry McDonough for any claims he made against the team in a demand for arbitration, and say his "erratic behavior eventually damaged his career."
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON - NOVEMBER 21: Owner Michael Bidwill of the Arizona Cardinals looks on before the game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lumen Field on November 21, 2021, in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Steph Chambers/Getty Images)
3. Murray scores 34, Nuggets beat Suns 125-107 in Game 1: Kevin Durant scored 29 points for the Suns, with Devin Booker adding 27 and Chris Paul 11. Booker averaged 37.2 points in a first-round series win over the Los Angeles Clippers.
DENVER, COLORADO - APRIL 29: Michael Porter Jr. #1 of the Denver Nuggets drives against Deandre Ayton #22 of the Phoenix Suns in the second quarter at Ball Arena on April 29, 2023, in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
4. Arizona Cardinals select OT Paris Johnson at No. 6 after multiple trades: The Cardinals selected the Ohio State offensive lineman with the No. 6 overall selection on Thursday night, capping a whirlwind start to the draft for new general manager Monti Ossenfort.
KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI - APRIL 27: Paris Johnson Jr. poses after being selected sixth overall by the Arizona Cardinals during the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft at Union Station on April 27, 2023, in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by David Eulitt/Ge
5. Madison Bumgarner released by D-Backs after clearing waivers: Madison Bumgarner was designated for assignment on April 20, giving the team seven days to trade the 2014 World Series MVP or place him on waivers. Bumgarner wasn't claimed and can sign with any team for a prorated share of the $720,000 major league minimum.
ST LOUIS, MO - APRIL 19: Madison Bumgarner #40 of the Arizona Diamondbacks delivers a pitch against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium on April 19, 2023, in St Louis, Missouri. (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
The Associated Press (AP) contributed to this report.