Glendale roads reopen after major gas leak causes evacuations; 1 hurt
GLENDALE, Ariz. - Fire crews worked to control a major gas leak near 59th Avenue and Thunderbird early Wednesday morning.
Glendale fire officials say 4 to 6-inch main gas line was leaking, and Southwest Gas had to work with firefighters to shut it off.
Numerous businesses were forced to evacuate and several streets in the area were temporarily shut down while crews capped the leak.
"There's a lot of planning because this line does feed a lot of businesses in the area, Thunderbird Hospital's right down the street, so they can't just flip a switch and shut this line down," said Capt. Anthony Valverde with Glendale Fire.
A Southwest employee was hurt after a cap meant to close the leak blew off, but their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
59th Avenue and Thunderbird has reopened in all directions.
More Arizona headlines
- Suspect accused of putting Apple AirTag on Arizona man's car
- Mother searches for justice after son was shot and killed in North Phoenix
- Suspects threw Molotov cocktails onto roof of Phoenix restaurant, police say
For the latest local news, download the FOX 10 News app.
Tune in to FOX 10 Phoenix for the latest news: