PHOENIX - We've seen a couple surges with the coronavirus, and now there are concerns that another could be on the way. The so-called "Delta Variant" is behind it, causing cases to increase again in more than a dozen states.
The Delta Variant is growing at a fast rate around the country and county health experts are expecting it to increase in the next few months.
Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine, Infectious Disease Specialist with Maricopa County, says the strain in May was 3% and June was 19%.
"We know in the U.S the Delta strain is the dominant strain in the U.S, we expect to see more and more of the Delta strain circling here in the county," said Sunshine.
In the Valley, a long term facility is experiencing an outbreak, and this illustrates how fast the Delta Variant can spread. The county has not released the location.
"We really need to be prepared to see more and more of the Delta strain circulating the best way to do that is be fully vaccinated," said Sunshine.
In order to protect yourself from a possible infection, the CDC recommends:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Monitor your health daily
Continuing coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Arizona reports 921 more COVID-19 cases, most in 2 months
- 50% of Arizona’s population vaccinated for COVID-19
- Arizona’s confirmed COVID-19 death toll reaches 18,000
- Highly contagious Delta variant is in Arizona; health experts say numbers could surge
Tune in to FOX 10 Phoenix for the latest news:
Get breaking news alerts in the FOX 10 News app. It is FREE! Download for Apple iOS or Android.