APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz. - We're learning about more New Year's celebratory gunfire problems. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office says that a home was damaged by a bullet that was randomly fired into the air.
The person who lives in the home assumed he heard fireworks just after midnight on Wednesday. The following morning, he found a hole in the ceiling of his bedroom closet and a bullet on the floor. It caused hundreds of dollars in damage, not to mention it put lives at risk.
Firing a gun randomly into the air has been a felony in Arizona since 2000 with the passing of Shannon's Law. It was created after a teen was killed by a stray bullet back in 1999.
Read more about Shannon's Law:
13-3107 - Unlawful discharge of firearms; exceptions; classification; definitions