PHOENIX - Phoenix drivers, beware - major closures are in effect this weekend for some improvement projects and for the movement of a massive SRP utility pole.
Interstate 10 is closed in both directions at the Broadway Curve near Sky Harbor Airport all weekend long to move a large utility pole and to work on freeway improvement projects, according to the Arizona Dept. of Transportation.
The eastbound lanes are closed between the State Route 51 mini-stack and State Route 143, while the westbound lanes are closed between State Route 143 and the I-17 Split.
The closure begins at 10 p.m. on Friday, April 22 and lasts until 4 a.m. Monday, April 25.
For the eastbound closure:
- All on-ramps between 3rd Street and 40th Street, including SR 51 ramps to I-10, will be closed
- Southbound I-17 on-ramps at 7th Avenue, 7th Street will be closed
- Alternate routes - Take eastbound Loop 202 Red Mountain to Loop 101 to get to Tempe and other places in the east Valley. Drivers can take westbound Loop 202 Santan to get around the closure.
For the westbound closure:
- All on-ramps between Elliot Road and 32nd Street will be closed
- US 60 westbound ramps to I-10 will be closed
- Mill Avenue on-ramp to US 60 westbound will be closed
- Alternate routes - Drivers can take US 60 eastbound to Loop 101 northbound, then take Loop 202 westbound to get to the airport or to other parts of downtown Phoenix. ADOT recommends commuters from the east Valley take Loop 202 South Mountain to reach I-10 in west Phoenix.
The eastbound lanes of I-10 were closed between Loop 101 Agua Fria and 75th Avenue in west Phoenix, but have reopened a day early.
All Interstate 17 on- and off-ramps at Greenway Road will be closed starting 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday for a drainage project.
Greenway Road will be closed in both directions near I-17, and the eastbound lanes of the roadway will stay closed until 9 p.m. Friday, April 29.
Alternate routes: Use other roads like Bell or Cactus to get around, and drivers can use 19th Avenue or 35th Avenue to head north or south.
The frontage roads of Loop 101 Price Freeway will be restricted to one lane in areas between Rio Salado Parkway and Loop 202 Santan from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 23.
The lane restrictions will also be in effect from 11 p.m. Saturday to 5 p.m. Sunday, April 24.
Alternate routes: Drivers can try McClintock Drive or Dobson to get around.
More transportation headlines
- I-10 pursuit near Eloy ends in deadly crash with tractor-trailer; 3 killed, several injured
- US Postal Service to slow down nearly a third of first-class package deliveries
- Arizona highways along White Mountains reopen after winter closures
Tune in to FOX 10 Phoenix for the latest news:
Get breaking news alerts in the FREE FOX 10 News app. Download for Apple iOS or Android.
Broadway Curve Improvement Project - ADOT