MESA, Ariz. - It's a long drive -- six hours -- up to these small towns on the Navajo Nation.
Marco Meraz has been driving donations up for weeks now.
"There really isn't anything in place to get these supplies to the most remote areas and in these remote areas, there are families who are quarantined, mostly because the head of household has coronavirus," he said.
The Navajo Nation now has more COVID-19 infections per capita than New York. With so many Navajo families in need, Mesa restaurant Republica Empanada is sending supplies to the Navajo Nation.
Meraz and other volunteers have been dropping donations off at doorsteps.
"We were closed down, at our restaurant Republica Empanada, which is our family restaurant," Meraz said. "Our dining room closed. I told them I would do a donation drive."
The drive proved to be successful, as dozens of volunteers came forward with necessities that Arizona Navajo families desperately need.
"In the days that followed, we received videos and pictures and emails thanking us for what we did," Meraz said. "[It] just showed how necessary it was to get donations up there, however we can."
In order to protect yourself from a possible infection, the CDC recommends:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
FULL COVERAGE: fox10phoenix.com/coronavirus
How it spreads, symptoms, prevention, treatment, FAQ
Arizona COVID-19 Response
Public resources, FAQ, webinars
On CoronavirusNOW.com, you'll find extensive coverage about COVID-19, including breaking news from around the country, exclusive interviews with health officials, and informative content from a variety of public health resources.